In Darien, the City Treasurer is an elected position. The Treasurer is elected at the same time as the Mayor and City Clerk, and also serves a four-year term. The qualifications for the office of Treasurer are the same as for Mayor.
The City Treasurer has the following statutory duties:
- The Treasurer shall receive all money belonging to the municipality and keep the Treasurer's books and accounts in the manner prescribed by ordinance.
- The Treasurer shall keep a separate account of each fund or appropriation.
- The Treasurer shall give every person paying money into the treasury a receipt.
- Every month, the Treasurer shall render an account showing the state of the treasury, along with a statement of all money received and all warrants redeemed.
- The Treasurer is responsible for overseeing the deposit of municipal funds and their investment.
- Annually, the Treasurer shall prepare an account of moneys received and expenditures incurred during the preceding fiscal year. In Darien, the Treasurer is a part-time position, and the duties described above have generally been delegated to the full-time staff of the Administration Department's Accounting Division.