Fence permits – Need Plat of Survey marking where the fence is going and the proposal from the fence company. If you are the homeowner and doing the work yourself, please provide the summary sheet from wherever you are purchasing the materials from i.e. Menards, Home Depot, which shows the typeof fence, square footage and height. If you are dropping off at correspondence box at City Hall, please attach a $25 check made payable to City of Darien. Building Department has a special form for fences.
Residential Fence Information
Roof permit – Please complete the Building Permit application and include the contractor who will be replacing the roof. The roofing contractor will need to be licensed with the City of Darien. I will need a Contractor License application and their state license. If you are dropping off at City Hall, in the correspondence box, please attach a $50 check. We follow the 2015 International Residential Code.
Guidelines for ice barriers and reroofing are enclosed. NO PERMIT REQUIRED FOR ROOF REPAIR! Also, NO permit needed for siding/soffits/fascia. NO INSPECTIONS ON ROOF PERMITS.
Remodels – Anytime you are taking down or putting up a wall, adding/changing electric or plumbing, a permit is required. When you are taking down or putting up a wall a letter/plans (stamped) will be required from either a licensed Architect or a Structural Engineer. If your remodel is just replacing and adding either electric/plumbing and removing and replacing cabinets, etc., a drawing is required showing where electrical and plumbing as well as cabinets and other fixtures.
Driveway/Patio/Sidewalks – Please complete the Building Permit application, along with your Plat of Survey, mark what area you are replacing or widening, and include a copy of the proposal from your contractor. If the homeowner is doing the work, list homeowner as contractor on second page. You can include a $250 check for driveway replacement ($175 will be refunded after the inspections have passed) Patio/sidewalk permit is $50.
Patio and Walks Information
Swimming Pools – Please complete the Building Permit application, attach your Plat of Survey, marking where the pool will go, read and sign the attached and submit with the permit and include the brochure and specs on the pool with the permit. The contractor installing the pool will need to be licensed with the City of Darien. Fees will be determined after it goes for Plan Review.
(In-ground Pool Permits take approximately 2 weeks)
Sheds – Please complete the Building Permit application, include your Plat of Survey, marking where the shed will go, and the specs from where you bought the shed along with a check for $115. The contractor, if homeowner, list homeowner as contractor, installing the shed will need to be licensed with the City of Darien.
Accessory Buildings and Structure Information
- Decks– Please complete the Building Permit application, along with your Plat of Survey, include a drawing/sketch of work being done, including dimensions.
- Hot Tub
Hot Tub Building Code Compliance Requirements
- Solar Permits
Zoning: Building-mounted SES are permitted as an accessory use in all zoning districts.
Questions may be directed to the City Planner, Jordan Yanke, email@example.com, 630-353-8113.
Permits: For small-scale, standard SES design, permits are typically issued within 10 days after all
documents submitted in person to the Community Development Department, Monday through Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm, including:
- Building Permit application form
- Contractor License application form with certificate of insurance and bond
- Plat of Survey with plan sketch showing where panels will be located with dimensions
- Structural calculations signed and sealed by a licensed structural engineer that certifies that the mounted building wall or roof is structurally sound and will bear weight of the SES.
- Construction plans in compliance with 2015 International Solar Energy Provisions Code (See attached page for plan submittal requirements)
Inspections: Two inspections are typically required (1) Final Electric (2) Final Building – when installation complete. To schedule inspections, call 630-353-8115 by 2:00 on business day before inspection requested. Inspections typically are done between 8:00 am-12:00 pm. Contractor must be present (Additional inspections may be required for non-standard SES or if roof or wall modifications are needed.)
Solar Energy Systems Permit Guidelines
Please complete the Building Permit application, include your Plat of Survey, marking where the generator will go as well as the electric and gas line. Please include the specs on the generator. The contractor, if homeowner, list homeowner as contractor, installing the generator will need to be licensed with the City of Darien.
11. Drainage/Sump Pumps
Please complete the Building Permit application, include your Plat of Survey marking where the drains/discharge are located.
Drainage/Sump Pumps Information Sheet
12. Contractor License – All contractor licenses expire at the end of April, unless you have recently renewed. If you are dropping off at City Hall, in the correspondence box, please attach a $60 check (Please note, ROOFING & PLUMBING contractors do not pay a fee they only need to submit their State License. Fence contractors do not need to be licensed.
13. Furnace & Air Conditioner – A permit is required for replacing your A/C but not if you are just replacing the furnace. Please fill out a Building Permit application and attach the contract from the HVAC company. A Final Electric Inspection will be required. The permit is $50, cash or check, unless it is commercial.
HVAC Replacement Specifications
14. Irrigation – A permit is required, include the Plat of Survey marking the location of all the sprinkler heads. Contractor will need to be licensed with the City of Darien and provide their State License. RPZ inspection required when the job is finished and yearly testing of RPZ is required by the State.
Lawn Sprinkler Permit Requirements
Lawn Sprinkler Waiver
Please click here for more informational sheets.
Questions: On permits and inspections may be directed to Mary Belmonte, firstname.lastname@example.org,
15. Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Specifications, Requirements and Guidelines - A permit is required along with the attached form. Inspection will be determined by charging equipment.
Electric Car Charger Specifications, Requirements and Guidelines